[CM] Building snd from source

Meino Christian Cramer Meino.Cramer@gmx.de
Sat, 22 May 2004 13:20:46 +0200 (CEST)

From: Bill Schottstaedt <bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: [CM] Building snd from source
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:52:56 -0700

Hi Bill,

>  > The one thing I """hate""" (sorry for that strong word) with the
>  > motified snd is, that the strings of the buttons, menus and such are
>  > so tiny
>
> I think Snd was simply using the Motif default font in this case,
> which appears to be "fixed 7x13".  I changed it to default to 9x15,
> which still has an old-fashioned look, but at least it's readable.

  Yes, me too :)

  Finally I find the switch to change this ;)

  First I thought it is hardcoded in OpenMotif...

>  > When trying to load ogg'ed files, (I have inserted examp.scm...) they
>  > will  loaded, I see a converting process on the shell's output from
>  > where I have started snd and then mpg123 will be called (which I do
>  > not have...).
>  >
>  > What's this? I thought the ogg'ed file will be converted to something
>  > "native" (au, raw, wav or such), which snd directly supports.
>
> It's supposed to call ogg123 -- I can't see any way it would call
> mpg123.

  When I look to the output of snd written to the shell from where I
  started snd it looks like, that ogg123 is called, the file is
  converted to something like "raw" and this fact calls mpg123 in
  turn.

  A "hooked hook" so to say.... ;)

> Then you can either set up the open-hook to call ogg123
> automatically (see examp.scm), or do something like:
>
>    (open-sound (read-ogg "/home/bil/sf1/oboe.ogg"))

	 ...ok...

	 I will try this!

> I don't really want to add built-in support for all these compressed
> formats via their libraries -- there are at least a half dozen now,
> and more seem to pop up constantly

  ...and this way (as it is currently implemented) everything remains
  up to date and other formats can easily be added... ! :)

>  > open-file: system-error: "No such file or directory": "v.scm" (2)
>
> As Anders mentioned, try load-from-path rather than load.

  I did it and it works like a charm!  :)

  Is "load" the same as "load-from-path" with the difference, that
  load needs a full path specification and load-from-path does not ?

  Keep snd'ing!
  Meino