[CM] Building snd from source

Kjetil Svalastog Matheussen k.s.matheussen@notam02.no
Fri, 21 May 2004 20:51:28 +0200 (CEST)

Meino Christian Cramer:

>  I tried to build snd from source, which I freshly downloaded.
>
>  I entered different problems.
>
>  My question is:
>   Is it recommended (for a building-snd-from-source-newbie) to build
>   it with the motif or the gtk interface? ;)

I use gtk, but only because it looks better and feels much faster. There
are less audio-dropouts using motif.

>   Do both interfaces provide the same functionality?

Very much, seems to be.

>   My resulting snd does soemtimes enter an endless loop when first
>   pressing "play in loop" and then "stop" -- I was bombed with "Too
>   many files open" messages and had to reboot, since the computer
>   was so busy in looping that it does not to respond to key input
>   anymore.

Hmm, hopefully related to the next one:

>   Another thing while playing in loop:
>   Sometimes the volume steadily increases with every loop until it was
>   totally distorted.

I have to confess I have known about this for a long time without
reporting it (so much things to do).

To Bill:
My guess is that when the player reach the end of the selection,
the stop-playing-hook is called before actually stopping
the playing. What happens is that the stop-playing-hook
code (the function "c-play-selection2" in snd_conffile.scm)
starts playing another time before the other one was
stopped. And then I have a feeling that for some reason
"c-play-selection2" is called yet another time when the
first playing really stops, which it shouldn't. If that
makes sense... At least I certainly think theres something
different with the stop-playing-hook handling thats causing
this.