[CM] Re: [PlanetCCRMA] Blender for animations

RickTaylor@Speakeasy.Net RickTaylor@Speakeasy.Net
Tue, 20 Jul 2004 23:57:13 -0600

Marco,
> I started to look at it last winter (and tried out different sofwtare
> available in the animation field, povray in particular) and it is
> quite good.  Just do not try to understand the logic behind certain
> shortcuts....:-) The mixer/sequencer is quite good (sound needs to be
> processed with other tools, clm and snd of course...) it really helps
> to put together a final work with audio and graphics.
>
> In a, short, moment of fanaticism, i used blender for an architectural
> project....well not so crazy if you think that blender can export in dxf
> - the equivalent of .rtf in the CAD family.
>
> Povray is just a scripting language, very easy to understand and
> probably faster to program than blender, if you prefer (like i do) the
> non-gui oriented world...(povray is not free software in the "pure"
> sense, it is just free, like in free beer...)

 My own vote would go to Blender with Yafray and Python scripting.

 Pov is an excellent render engine. Ayam/Aqsis is a good system. K3d is pretty full featured. AL has some nice advantages. Art of Illusion is nice. http://www.coin3d.org/ Coin3d and Inventor are nice. http://oss.sgi.com/projects/inventor/ Moho is very nice. {not 3d} http://www.lostmarble.com/index.shtml {not free either}

This message has been brought to you in part by a grant from Columba.