[CM] CM installation problems in Allegro CL 6.2 (Trial)

T. Kriewall kriewall@u.washington.edu
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:15:39 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I'm afraid I have some rather tedious CM installation questions... I
looked through the archives but didn't see anything discussing this exact
problem, so I'm guessing maybe it's just me.  :)  If it has been
discussed, please let me know and I'll look again more carefully.

I'm attempting to install Common Music on a PC under Allegro CL 6.2.  I'm
web:

(load "c:\\cm\\cm-2.3.4\\src\\cm.lisp")

At this point a window pops up, saying:

"Error: The OLE subsystem has been loaded.  Changing the case mode now may
render it inoperable."

It gives me a number of choices, mostly aborts and 'Change the case
mode anyway.' I do that by clicking 'Invoke selected restart'.

CM appears now to compile.  It gives me a few warnings and then pops up
another dialog box saying:

"Error: An allocation request for 80 bytes caused tenuring and a need for
262144 more bytes of heap. This request cannot be satisfied because you
have hit the Allegro CL Trial heap limit.  If you wish to purchase Allegro
CL please contact Franz Inc. at blah blah blah.
[condition type: STORAGE-CONDITION]"

I abort.  I quit the program and restart.  I attempt to load cm.lisp again
and get the OLE error once more.  This time, when I click 'Invoke selected
restart', CM compiles!  The interpreter says:

; Sources were compiled. To save Common Music
; quit and restart Lisp, then reload cm.lisp.

Only it doesn't appear to work in that it doesn't recognize functions like
'defobject' or 'rhythm'.

So, long run for a short slide.  Two questions:

1. Does CM work under Allegro CL 6.2? (I imagine it does!)

2. If so, could someone clarify for me what's going on?

Many many thanks.  I'm unfortunately not very advanced with either Lisp or
CM, so this has been a difficult problem for me to debug.

Tom K.