[CM] Re: cm-2.4.2/clm-2 with OpenMCL

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 09:54:30 -0600

yes, when you install openmcl for working with CLM, CM and MidiShare
you should install everything from the openmcl.clozure.com site,
including soruces and interface files.

Here is what you need to do to install the latest release of OpenMCL
(openmcl-0.14.1-p1)

1. Download the following three file from openmcl.clozure.com
    Binaries:

http://clozure.com/openmcl/ftp/openmcl-darwinppc-bin-0.14.1-p1.tar.gz
    Sources:
      http://clozure.com/openmcl/ftp/openmcl-src-0.14.1-p1.tar.gz
    FFI Interface Database:
      http://openmcl.clozure.com/FTP/jaguar-interfaces.tar.gz

2 Put the archives in a common parent directory (/Lisp or
/usr/local/lisp or whatever) and then do

	$ tar -zxf openmcl-darwinppc-bin-0.14.1-p1.tar.gz
	$ tar -zxf openmcl-src-0.14.1-p1.tar.gz
	$ tar -zxf jaguar-interfaces.tar.gz

   That will restore openmcl into a ccl/ subdirectory of the current
directory.

3. Edit the file ccl/scripts/openmcl and change the first variable to
reflect your machine. Then move or copy this openmcl file to some
directory on your path, ie /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin

4. Download the Midishare database files from CCRMA:
	ftp://ftp-ccrma.stanford.edu/pub/Lisp/cm/openmcl-midishare.tar.gz

5. Move it to the ccl/darwin-headers directory and restore it:

      $ mv openmcl-midishare.tar.gz ccl/darwin-headers
      $ cd ccl/darwin-headers
      $ tar -zxf openmcl-midishare.tar.gz
6.
   CD to you CM directory and do

	$ bin/cm.sh

> By the way is there a CM Tutorial for Beginners?

not as such. look in etc/examples/intro.cm for some simple examples.
Of course you can order Notes from the Metalevel (introduction to
Algorithmic Composition) here:
http://pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/nm/00/nm-order.pdf
and online examples from the book are here: