[CM] i want that nice gui too

Frank Barknecht fbar@footils.org
Sat, 17 Apr 2004 20:26:15 +0200

Hallo,
luis jure hat gesagt: // luis jure wrote:

> it's that time of the year (or is it every other year?) when i say to myself
> _this time_ i'm really going to learn snd.
>
> now, if you could spare a little patience and understanding with a novice
> completely guile/scheme ignorant and who doesn't even use emacs, i'd like to
> ask for some help with this business of configuring the gui.
>
> 1) what's supposed to be in the .gtkrc-2.0 file mentioned by Herrn
> Barknecht? i didn't have such a file at home, and copied one i found in the
> system, but it's empty, leer, vacío, nada, just a lonely commented line
> saying that this is the default theme.
>
> anyway, copying the Snd.gtkrc frank sent to the list to my home directory
> shows a difference.

A gtkrc is a file containing a description of the resources like
colors, fonts,... for Gtk application. Many to most Gtk apps look in
~/.gtkrc (gtk 1.X) rsp. ~/.gtkrc-2.0 (Gtk 2.X) for this. Snd looks in
~/Snd.gtkrc

You can either write the gtkrc yourself or use one that already is
written by someone else or is on your system. They often are in some
directory below /usr/share, here on Debian it's in /usr/share/themes/

To use a predefined gtkrc, you can "include" it in the gtrkc for your
application, which normally is ~/.gtkrc-2.0 or at Snd it's Snd.gtrkc.
Including goes like this:

include "/usr/share/themes/Xfce-b5"

What I did, was to include the global gtkrc, ~/.gtkrc-2.0, in
Snd.gtkrc:

include "/home/fbar/.gtkrc-2.0"

Of course, if the global one is empty, this won't change anything.

You can find many themes for exmaple here:
http://themes.freshmeat.net/browse/958/

Here's Snd with another theme (which is very slow...):
http://footils.org/images/spherecrystal.png

One thing to note: When changing the Snd.gtkrc file I had to start Snd
from a fresh xterm to make it see that change every time, which is a
bit strange.

> 2) now i would like to load snd_conffile.scm, which i understand is
> responsible for the nice looking gui seen in the famous screenshot, but the
> message i get is:
>
> gui.scm needs the xg module: xm.so: no se puede abrir el fichero
> del objeto compartido: No existe el fichero o el directorio
>
> mmm... is this motif related? i'm mystified, isn't all this about gtk? i
> compiled snd thus:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-alsa --with-gtk --with-jack --with-ladspa
> --with-guile --with-float-samples

Add "--with-static-xm" to that option list. And check out the current
CVS, unless you already did. It has the a comment-bug workaround
included.

Ciao