[CM] random stream with lists?

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:34:01 -0500

> Thanks for clearing that up. What a pity. In a way I prefer scheme to
> lisp especially for teaching. You mentioned some time ago that you had
> switched the sources of common music to scheme, autogenerating the
> lisp sources from that.

Its definately much easier to teach Scheme than CL. I personally prefer
Scheme to CL so I use it myself. I would prefer to use Guile for my
class but its just too slow for large projects. So my class uses an
OpenMCL image but we continue to use scheme syntax.  Obviously I hope
that in the long term Guile will get faster. if not, I implemented
scheme loop and made cm-2 single inheritance so that it could be ported
more easily...

>  It doesn't seem to be a
> good idea to teach students a language which probably isn't going to
> be performing fast enough for their future work.

Once a student knows Scheme (or CL) its trivial for them to switch to
the other, and CM provides most of the scheme functions unless you tell
it not to so I dont think its really that much of an issue.