[CM] Installing CM under Cygwin on Windows XP

James Ravan jamesravan@comcast.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:00:16 -0500

All,

I tried using CM a couple of years ago on a Mac and gave up, mainly because
Capella wasn't what I needed and it would have been a massive amount of work
to write a
graphic interface for the kinds of things I wanted to do. Well, people
change and the software landscape *certainly* changes, so I'm back trying CM
again. This time my idea is to use Sibelius (or perhaps Lilypond) as a score
visualization tool, a MIDI player for playback, and XEmacs as a development
environment. All of this will run inder Cygwin on Windows because I'd rather
run Sibelius native on Windows than under a virtual machine on Linux.

It's perhaps important to tell you that, although I program computers for a
living as many musicians do, I know next-to-nothing about Lisp.

My first problem is getting CM installed under Cygwin on XP. First I
installed CLISP under Cygwin. That seems to have worked; I can get Lisp up
and typing (exit) gets me out. Then I downloaded CM 2.4.0 to - using
UNIX/Cygwin syntax - /usr/local/lisp. I untarred it there which created a
/usr/local/lisp/cm-2.4.0 tree. Then while still in /usr/local/lisp I ran
clisp and typed:

<start verbatim>

[1]> (load "/usr/local/lisp/cm-2.4.0/src/cm.lisp")

*** - EVAL: variable  has no value
The following restarts are available:
STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for .
USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of .

*** - UNIX error 13 (EACCES): Permission denied
The following restarts are available:
STORE-VALUE    :R1      You may input a new value for .
USE-VALUE      :R2      You may input a value to be used instead of .

1. Break [2]>

<end verbatim>

So I have two problems:

(1) Since I have no practical experience with Lisp in general or CLISP in
particular, I don't know how to use the debugger. I have looked online and
just located a CLISP manual circa 2001, but I have yet to unzip and read it.
Can anyone point me to the latest CLISP docs? I couldn't find them on the
CLISP website; there seemed to be only a man page.

(2) And can someone tell me enough to debug this problem? I don't know why,
but EVAL seems to have NIL in hand for the symbol when it prints these error
messages. (Note that on the first error line there are two spaces between
the
words "variable" and "has".) According to the walkthrough on CM's website,
this (load) was just supposed to work. :)

Thanks for any help.

regards,
-jim