[CM] MCL 5 with CLM

Michael Klingbeil michael@klingbeil.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 13:11:32 -0400

Perhaps I can clear up some of the MCL 4/MCL 5/OpenMCL confusion.

MCL 5 is *not* a commercial OpenMCL. OpenMCL is sort of a spinoff of
the original MCL codebase. OpenMCL is MacOS X native in that it uses
the Mach-o ABI.

MCL 5 is the continuation of the MCL 4 legacy. It is essentially a
"carbonized" version of MCL 4, meaning that it uses the Carbon APIs
which are compatible with both MacOS 9 and MacOS X. So MCL 5 is *not*
MacOS X only. It runs on both 9 and X. MCL 5 does not use the Mach-o
ABI. Like MCL 4 it uses PEF (aka CFM = Code Fragment Manager). MacOS
X has a layer to handle CFM natively so MCL 5 is essentially a first
class citizen on MacOS X.

To see if you are running on OS X with MCL 5 check ccl::*osx-p*.

Because MCL 5 is a CFM app and inherits from MCL 4, its ffi should be
essentially the same as MCL 4. This means of course that the shared
libraries must be CFM libraries which are different from Mach-o dylds
or bundles.

My understanding is that Apple's gcc tools do not compile to CFM. For
that you will need somthing like CodeWarrior (which now has command
line tools for MacOS X). But I could be wrong about that.

It probably is also possible to make MCL 5 call a Mach-o bundle, but
this would take extra work. I don't know if anyone has done this yet.
It might be worth poking around on the MCL mailing list archives for
more details.

I am including a message from the MCL list which explains some of
this in more detail.

Michael