[CM] Re: blue + cm

steven yi stevenyi@csounds.com
12 May 2003 22:36:24 -0700

Hi Andrés,

Until CM is updated for outputting to stdout, Ben McAllister on the
blue-users list found a way to do it.  The lisp functions are in this
email:

(the formatting of the parentheses is off due to being displayed in
html)

For blue, there are two ways to get generated scores from external
programs back into blue:

1) The external program writes out to stdout, which is captured and
brought back into blue.

2) The external program accepts a commandline filename to write out to,
which blue can open up after processing and read in. (blue supplies a
system-generated temporary file's name via $outfile)

The first method was the original method and the second was added due to
some programs not having option 1 as a possibility and no open source
code(i.e. to use Cmask in blue, which does not write to stdout).  The
second method is not well documented, though I plan to have
documentation more up to par for next release.

I myself am a CM/Lisp newbie and am learning slowly as time permits, so
am slow to experiment with these things.  (I'm only on chapter 10 of
Rick's fantastic book).  I'm looking forward to experimenting further
with CM/blue/Csound myself!

Glad to hear blue is helping out with Csound for you!

steven