[CM] new version of book (xhtml/css2)

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Sun, 4 May 2003 18:38:44 -0500

I've posted the second-to-last version of the book:

http://pinhead.music.uiuc.edu/~hkt/nm/

some major improvements have been made:

1) book has been converted to XHTML 1.0 strict using Cascading Style
Sheets level 2. A huge, huge thank you to Tobias Kunze for his
beautiful styling (nm/00/cm.css) on which the html version of the book
is based (check out the new look for program examples and sound
examples!). The CSS presentation is so much better than my previous
version and the markup is incredibly clean. Of course you will need an
XHTML/CSS2 compliant browser to enjoy it!

2) New section added to chapter 23 contains examples from Michael
Klingbeil's composition 1706F. Thanks very much to Michael for allowing
me to use this material.

3) All typos, unclear passages and other errata that people have
reported to me have been fixed -- Thank you all very much for your
comments, expecially Carl Edwards, Dave Phillips, and Jamie Macbeth.

4) Lots of internal links to examples and chapters added.

5) Dedication page added.

6) newly added/updated pithy quotes for chapters 6, 7, 10, 15, 16, 17,
20

7) XHTML, CSS and links validate.

I will be sending the ms off to Swets this week, I plan on adding a
section on 1/f noise to chapter 18 and  to update chapter 4 with better
info about running the application and Xemacs. Please feel free to send
in any typos -- I will fix these in the final draft.

-rick