[CM] FM how-to question

Jon Monroe jmonroe@easystreet.com
Sun, 08 Jun 2003 15:57:41 -0700

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong place for this, or if it's
already been answered someplace.

I've been swimming through documentation for several days trying to get
this to work correctly -- I think I'm doing it the hard way :)   I'm still
a learning audio newbie :)

I basically want to use snd/clm to process a wave file using a basic FM
function, and then save the resultant output to a new wave file.

This doesn't have to be "true" FM -- as in I don't need the derivative of
the modulation signal (the input wave file). It can be text-book phase
modulation.

So, I have the following formula:
cos(2*pi*f*t + f(t)),

where f is the carrier freq and t is the relative time, and f(t) is the
modulating signal relative to time (in my case, the input wave file).

I have snd-6/guile 1.6.4 and CLM compiled and installed on a Linux 2.4.18
box, and I've run through some sample scripts (the oboe!!) and it works great!

I guess I'm looking for an example on how to perform the above FM process.

Thanks for any help,

Jon