[CM] new snd user: questions

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 3 Jan 2003 03:53:37 -0800

> Apart from the issue with long files, snd is perfectly usable (better
> than that).

Support for files longer than 2^31 bytes was added in version 5.10.
If possible, get the current version (6.4 or 6.5).

> - Apart from the gui-based keyboard commands (e.g. Alt-O), the keys
> don't work.

>      Gtk+ 1.2.10, Glib 1.2.10

This is probably the source of most of the problems -- I think the
current version works much better in Gtk (but you need Gtk version 2).
You may also have to click in the Snd window to activate it -- this
is partly dependent on the window manager.

> - there was no ~/.snd file and I couldn't find a default config anywhere
> (e.g. /etc/snd, etc/defaults/snd, ...).

See grfsnd.html or Dave Phillips' tutorial.

> - Long files (e.g. more than a few minutes) don't seem to be fully
> loaded - only about the first quarter.  I'd like to edit audio files up
> to around 20mins (maybe longer - presumably there's a limit?)

Only a small window onto the file is ever loaded into memory; 20 min
sounds are no problem in any version of Snd; if you want to edit
sounds that are several hours long, get a more recent version.