[CM] Multi-chan recording with snd

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 03:12:29 -0800

> I am trying to record 4 channels simultaneously.  I remember that snd
> used to boot with a channel mapping matrix of in's and out's but now
> seems to default to 2 in/2 out.  How do I expand the recorder to 4 in's?

It's different for each audio system; in OSS Snd tries to figure out
how many channels your hardware supports, and puts up sliders and
meters for all of them; I can't remember off the top of my head what
happens in ALSA, but I thought it did something similar -- I usually
start with (mus-audio-describe) to see what sndlib thinks is out there.