[CM] cm 2.4.1 in CVS

Hkt hkt@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 19:43:29 -0800

There is a new release of CM (2.4.1) available from CVS. Before I make
the actual tarball release Im hoping that people with CVS access will do
me the favor of downloading the new cm via CVS and then installing it on
their machine using the new installation method(s). The new build
process is documented in the (completely rewritten) doc/install.html.
The hope is that the new installation method and the new docs will make
it easy for even a newcomer who doesnt know lisp yet to load up CM.
There is also a really nice shell script written by Tobias Kunze
(bin/cm.sh) that loads up cm in any supported lisp in either a shell or
under Emacs/Xemacs. type 'bin/cm.sh -h' for more info.

Im asking for this CVS testing because this installation method is the
way that CM will ship on the book's CD. Ive tested it in the various
Lisp combos on my machines and at CCRMA but I want to make sure it works
for other people besides me!

There are some other major improvements to the new release. The most
important is a new flexible interface to CLM and CMN. Basically, you
dont need to keep images any more -- there is no compile-time package
dependence of CM on CLM or CMN -- you can load in compiled CLM fasls and
.ins files at any point, even if these fasls were compiled without CM
loaded. (you need the latest clm-2.tar.gz for this new feature to work).

To download cm 2.4.1 from CVS type the following lines in a terminal
(each line beginning with 'cvs ...' must be on a single line of input).
type Return when prompted for a password:

cvs -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/commonmusic login
CVS password:
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/commonmusic co cm
[...download output deleted...]
mv cm cm-2.4.1
cd cm-2.4.1/bin
./cm.sh

please see the following for more infomation and let me know of any
problems or doc issues i need to fix:
	doc/changelog.text
	doc/install.html
	doc/dict/make-cm-fn.html