[CM] no sound with latest kernels/alsa modules

11 Dec 2003 12:12:55 -0800

[I'm cc'ing the Planet CCRMA list...]

> Sorry to reply to myself, but I have tried removing *all* alsa packages
> so I could reinstall the latest (dependencies of planetccrma-core).  Now
> I don't have any sound, and I cannot reinstall the modules for the
> previously working version!  So I'm totally stuck, with absolutely no
> sound from any application, and no indication of errors anywhere I can
> find.  Help!!!!!

Sorry for the trouble. What is it you have installed now? What versions
of ALSA? Do an "rpm -q -a | grep ^alsa" and post the result.

Which kernel are you booting? (if it is the latest it should be
2.4.23-1.ll.xxx), see which one you are booting by typing "uname -r".

And finally, what hardware do you have? Do an "lspci -v -v", one of the
entries should correspond to the sound card (or which module are you

Anyway - I have not erased all the old alsa modules from the web site
yet. Maybe you will find what you need at:

http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/mirror/redhat/linux/planetcore/9/en/os/

There is a very old alsa-kernel there for 2.4.21...
-- Fernando