[CM] a to-snd question

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 04:42:39 -0700

>   When I used ACL with CLM-2 I could use to-snd transparently. Under
> CLISP it doesn't seem to work. Am I missing something ?

No -- to-snd (and the rest of the clm/snd communication stuff) needs
a real (i.e. dynamically loadable) foreign function interface on
the lisp side (it works by using X window properties, and there's
no way to do that in lisp without calling C somewhere along the
line), and Clisp is deficient in that regard.  I just noticed that
I never tied this into cmucl -- I'll do that today, if possible.

>   How do I exit from CMN ? I've tried (exit), (quit), (break), Ctrl-C,
> and some more I've forgotten. Other than doing an explicit kill from
> another window I can't figure out how to get out of it.

Every lisp is different, and some (clisp for example) will force
you deeper and deeper into the debugger with each mistake.
I hate this part of lisp -- I can never remember how to exit
a given lisp, and most trap C-C (posting a very nice note that
"the user" typed C-C -- the urge to kill...).  cmn-init.lisp
tries to clean this up a little -- I'll add more cases.  In ACL,
:exit should exit.

> The Delete and Backspace keys simply render escape codes
> so I'm unable to edit at the command prompt.

I think C-h will work in this case -- there's some .cshrc incantation,
I think, to deal with this, but I can't find it here at work.
If possible, run lisp as an emacs subjob.