[CM] some CM sprout/process questions

Michael Klingbeil michael@klingbeil.com
Fri, 27 Sep 2002 22:07:08 -0400

It sounds like each time you are calling 'sv' on your object 'o', you
are overwriting the old slot values. This is one of those examples
where the functional programmers will shout "side effects are bad!"
This isn't a problem if you are immediately sending events out the
midi-port, but if you are putting them into a seq or something like
that, then you need a new object for each event.

Your idea of using copy-object is definitely on the right track and
in fact it should work. Copy-object should work for any kind of CLOS
object... I have used it for stuff not even CM related. What kind of
error are you getting when you attempt to use copy-object? What
version of CM do you have? Maybe there is an old bug?

What I often do to avoid any of this is something like

	(output (new csound-event-subclass ...))

just setting the slot values in each output statement. If this is
tedious, then copy-object should (ideally!) do the trick.

You can avoid using defprocess entirely and just insert events into a list:

(setf my-events
    (list (new csound-event-subclass ...)
          (new csound-event-subclass ...)
          (new csound-event-subclass ...)