[CM] A question of methods

cristopher pierson ewing cewing@u.washington.edu
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:29:55 -0700 (PDT)

Okay, another CLOS question:

I have an object (let's call it a cue)  with a slot that is a list of
times (let's call the slot goals), I wish to ensure, any time that the
slot value of goals is changed in any cue, that the resulting list is
in chronological order.

So, for example:
(setf my-cue (make-instance 'cue :goals '(1 2 3 4)))

(slot-value my-cue 'goals)
-> (1 2 3 4)

(setf (slot-value my-cue 'goals)
      (append (slot-value my-cue 'goals '(1.5 2.5 3.5))))

would normally return
-> (1 2 3 4 1.5 2.5 3.5)

but since i'd created this nifty method, it would instead return
-> (1 1.5 2 2.5 3 3.5 4)

Any ideas how to do this?  I understand that you can set methods to happen
:before and :after and so on, but i'm not sure how exactly to do that.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Cris

Cris Ewing
CARTAH Assistant