[CM] cm-2.4.0, cross-refs in dictionary

rm@fabula.de rm@fabula.de
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 16:30:50 +0200

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 08:41:58AM -0700, Rick Taube wrote:
> > BTW, what is your source format for the documentation? Do you use
> > some kind of XML? I'd like to produce a printed version of the docs
>
> Ill tell you but you will probably puke -- I have a Lisp based "meta-synax"
> that look like HTML comments  in the source text file.

No, i won't :-)
I actually _like_ Lisp-based syntax.

> For example to
> format an entry my source file would look like
>
> <!-- (<entry> "whatever" :type "Variable") -->
> blah blah
> <!--(</entry>) -->
>
> So... <entry> and </entry> are lisp function  that do whatever formatting i
> want.Then i call  my parser (a lisp function) on the text file to generate
> the actual html file Everything in the doc files is formatted this way -- i
> never actually write any html commands except for things  like <i></i> in
> the text.

Would it be too much to ask you for the source version of the documentation
(and maybe the transformer)? It might be simple to modify it it emit an
XML-based version or LaTeX code.

> I realize xml would be a better way to go but  im too old  to keep learning
> new tricks.

Hmm, XML tends to be a bit verbose but it definitely has some advantages when it
comes to multi-format output generation. And of course a good editor (emacs PSGML)
saves a lot of typing.

  Ralf Mattes