[CM] mi_d and Linux

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 06:47:49 -0500

>The disadvantage is that pmidi only works on Midi files.

well its better than nothing, at least until we can figure out how best to get direct output. im sure its possible in guile so its just a matter of doing it.
anyway writing midi files is not all that bad -- in the new version you can set an output hook to play the file automatically and you can define your own play function for alsa ie

(define (alsa-play-midi file . args)
  (let ((opts (if (null? args) " "
		  (string-append (car args) " "))))
    (shell "/whatever/pmidi" opts file)))

(set-midi-output-hook! alsa-play-midi)

to turn off the auto feature do

(set-midi-output-hook! #f)

in fact if you can send me your alsa function ill add it before i release this version.