CMN in CM 2.4.0 / Re: [CM] new cm-2.4.0 tarball

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 21:26:55 -0500

Rick Taube wrote:

> Ive updated the cm-2.4.0.tar.gz file at CCRMA with 99% of functionality for the release. the only thing still missing is importing, ill try to add that soon.
> In this new archive  CLM2 audio and CMN files are back for Common Lisp (not scheme) THe CMN stff has changed -- I've tried to make it easer to work with (no staffer functions, for example). Basically if you want to display anything in CMN you write a little method on 'object->cmn'. there is already one dwefined for midi -- see the CMN example in intro.cm for details. ill tru to document things in the next few weeks. If you use CMN i would be grateful if you would try it out and let me know if/how it could be improved.

Hi Rick. I tried porting over my CM 2-.3.4 stuff to CM 2.4.0, and for
the most part it looks like CMN is working well in the new version. I
have a bunch of other comments, non CMN-related, but I will save those
for a seperate post.

Bascially, from my limited perspective and use, I have only these minor
observations w.r.t CMN:

First, I think the readme.text is wrong, or at least it doesn't work for
Cmucl on Linux.
When I followed the directions, CMN was not included in the CM core.
What I had to do was load CMN for the _second_ run of the installation
script (where all the CM files are compiled and the script saves the
core image).

Next, I notice that there seems not to be a simple CMN class for
outputing various various stuff to CMN (like the "cmn" class in 2.3.4).
Not matter, it's very trivial to implement, except for the staffing
assignment (see below)

Also, in intro.cm, it states that the third member of the first possible
form that object->cmn should return (the one to send a note to CMN)
should be a note name. In fact, this can just be a hertz value, in which
case it seems like CMN will find the closest note name. I think that
this detail (if I understand it correctly) can be usefull to document,
because it is typicall that an object will specify hertz (CLM and csound
objects, for example), and there is no function in CM that I can see
that will generate a note name based on a hertz value.

As far as staff assignment goes, I am not sure that the the staff
assignment should be a method on the event object, since a reasonable
way of working might be that the staff assignment could be a last-minute
global decision, relating to how I want to view this piece at this
moment. (The same can be said for note markups - for example I might
want to mark up all notes with fingerings equal to their positions
within their containers - but only just this once.)
However, for now it seems to work for me, and I think I would have to
make some use of CM/CMN before getting a real feel for what comes up in
practice. And it is always possible to have the object methods rely on
global parameters for these kind of decisions.

Larry Troxler