[CM] probs w/ snd and hammerfall

13 Nov 2002 15:31:15 -0800

> is anyone out there using snd with a hammerfall card?
> i cant get snd to play using hammerfall hardware.  i have used snd and
> alsa drivers from planet-ccrma and my own compiled from source.  no
> matter what combo i use, i always get the same error (below) from snd.
> any advice?

The current alsa sound driver support for snd cannot handle
non-interleaved cards (like the hammerfall). You could work around the
problem by using the plughw alsa device instead of the hardware device.
You can override snd's choice of device by setting an environment
variable:

SNDLIB_ALSA_DEVICE="plughw:0" snd

Would start snd (under bash) pointing to the plug interface for the
first card. The plug interface will do the conversion between
interleaved and non-interleaved for you.

Beware. Do not start the recorder with the plughw device. A "feature" of
alsa makes the plug interface offer unlimited channels and snd will try
to use them and create a recorder window that can record several million
channels :-)

-- Fernando