[CM] cm,clm and sbcl

Daniel Barlow dan@telent.net
Thu, 16 May 2002 13:14:02 +0100

Bill Schottstaedt <bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> Does sbcl work on the PPC?  I thought it was x86-specific.  In the long term,

It was once.  In the current 0.7.3 version it also runs on PPC
(Linux), SPARC (Linux and Solaris 2), and Alpha (Linux; I have a patch
for Tru64 support, but can't merge it until I get access to a Tru64
system again)

(People have asked for an OSX port, but gaps in OSX signal handling
make it not completely trivial, so it will probably not happen unless
someone with sufficient motivation learns SBCL internals or someone
with SBCL internals knowledge is motivated sufficiently.)

> In the longest term (...) I'm thinking of using the Snd optimizer to
> replace the current horrible kludge of writing an intermediate C file.
> This would simplify the FFI side of things, and do away with the current
> redundant code in cmus.lisp (i.e. use clm.c in both programs). Basically

Out of interest, roughly what performance increase is expected from
:just-lisp to the FFI version?  I looked at the benchmarks in
README.clm but there don't seem to be many just-lisp results for
native compilers on recent hardware.

-dan

--

  http://ww.telent.net/cliki/ - Link farm for free CL-on-Unix resources