[CM] libXm.a

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 04:51:35 -0700

If the Motif library is a general problem (that is, if my
current linux-snd image at ccrma-ftp will only work for
Redhat 7.3 because of it), I'm willing to try to build
libXm.a, but I expect it to take several days.  I originally
supplied linux-snd with the statically loaded libXm because
the Motif (as opposed to Lesstif) libraries were not
being distributed by Redhat and others, and the license
(at that time) was not open source -- I actually read the
legalese and decided I could safely distribute Snd with
Motif in that form, and no lawyer ever contacted me...

In general, I can't tell whether linux-snd (or sun-snd etc)
is actually being used by anyone; since I build these at
home, they reflect my home system; as the number of required
libraries grows, the possible user-base shrinks; what I
was thinking in the previous note was that it is probably
better to use Fernando's rpms or Stefan's (etc) -- these
are prepackaged to handle all the library requirements and
so on.

By my quick count, linux-snd loads about 20 libraries.