[CM] sndplay hangs after playing soundfile

Tue, 30 Jul 2002 16:42:01 -0700

> > > I'm not sure if this is a well-known issue, as I couldn't find any
> > > reference to it in the archives. When I play a sound with sndplay (the
> > > most recent version available from ccrma), it hangs after the sound ends,
> > > and I have to Ctrl-C to exit it.
> >
> > Is this from within lisp itself or as a standalone program?
> > You should try "sndplay somesoundfile" from the command line
> > to see if sndplay hangs by itself or if this is a problem with
> > the interface from lisp to sndplay (BTW, which lisp?).
>
> yes, sorry. I forgot to mention that it hangs on the command-line too, so I
> don't think it is related to clm or my lisp version (cmucl).

Hmm, have not seen this before. What sndplay version? If from
an rpm, which version? Was this downloaded or compiled in your
machine? If it is from the snd-utils package then look at the
link in /usr/bin/sndplay and see where it is pointing to and
do an ldd /usr/bin/sndplay-alsa (most probably that is the
target of the link) - just to check what it is linking to.

We could see where it is hanging (I hope) if you send me the
result of strace'ing the program (don't send to the list, I
think it could be pretty big). Do:

strace sndplay someshortsoundfile &>/tmp/trace
[if running under bash]
Interrupt when you think it has hung. Send me the "trace" file.
"strace" traces all system calls that the program makes...

-- Fernando