[CM] snd question - new format

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 04:43:48 -0700

> Where should I start looking for details of how to extend snd to handle new
> input/output file formats?  I'd rather work in Scheme if possible.

If you're referring to a new header, perhaps open-raw-sound-hook
will do what you want; Snd will see some unknown header (presumably)
and call the hook function which can read the header and set the various
fields (such as data format).  If this is a new version of some known
header, I'd need to add support for it to the built-in code.

If it's a new data-format, you'll probably need to translate it to
some format that Snd can handle.  There are examples of this for
MPEG and OGG files in examp.scm and misc.scm.  If it's representable
by some C type, I can easily add it to the built-in formats.