[CM] Building CLM on Windows XP & ACL6.2

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 16:12:10 -0600

>I understand that it provides a set of Unix tools to Win users, but does it
>interfere with any normal Windows operations? Is it replacing anything or
>simply providing additional commands to a DOS type shell?

I had no problem installing cygwin on a windows xp machine, and everything works fine. i much prefer the cygwin terminal to the piece of junk you get from MS.

>Do you have to load those extra facilities each tome you use them or are
>they simply a set of commands available through a path link to executables?

once you install it, cygwin lives under its own directory, mine is c:\cygwin. they provide is a Terminal app that you can put on your desktop, when you start it up its automatically sets the Unix root / to be  c:\cygwin or whereever you have installed it.

but i actually run the cygwin guile/cm under XEmacs in windows, so its really the same for me as working on unix/xemacs

>Do you have to build/compile it once you've downloaded it?

no you can download executables. their download tool is quite good, you can install just the things you want. i think you will find Guile 1.6.0 in the Interpreters list.

>Do you need to be an accomplished C/C++ user to use it?

no, but you should learn some unix commands since thats what you will be typing in their terminal.