[CM] algorithm woes

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:47:31 -0500

Dha Terekita wrote:

> Apologies if this is a repost. Also, apologies
> for the formatting - the properly formatted version
> is at :
>  http://stripe.colorado.edu/~theodorm/algo.html
>
> Hello there,
> I'm trying to implement an alogorithm for someone, and
> I can tell that I'm
> going about it the hard way (the *real* hard way!).
> It's working as it is,
> but it's longer than I've actually shown, and my way
> isn't going to scale
> terribly well. I'm actually using
> CM 1.3! (had lots of things that worked in 1.3 that
> didn't in 1.4, and have
> been stuck there ever since - I'll join the rest of
> the world as soon as
> I time to fix everything...)

Yup, I miss Stella (and Midi import) :-)

Anyhow, without requoting the code, since you have the URL above there,
a couple of thoughts come to mind, in case you haven't considered them:

1) Forget using CM patterns. At each stage, write the output to a
sequence, then for the next stage write a function to generate the next
sequence based on reading the previous sequence and inserting the new
events (well maybe you can still use patterns here)

2) Write some code that progrmatically generates the nested pattern code

Apologies in advance if these ideas are obvious, or if I'm
misunderstanding the scaling problem.

Larry Troxler