[CM] fun with CM + Linux

Christophe Rhodes csr21@cam.ac.uk
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:36:33 +0000

On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 04:29:33AM -0800, Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> > Until now, the workaround has been to do as you did -- to load from fasl
> > files rather than from core; however, recently the cmucl team added the
> > functionality needed to make this work.
>
> I don't immediately find a version later than 18d -- could you send
> a url for a fixed version?  Thanks!

There hasn't been a release since then; however, there are probably
binaries in the experimental directory available from the links in
<http://www.cons.org/cmucl/mirrors.html>.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure how it works; specifically, I don't
know whether you have to reload foreign objects at startup, or whether
that's done for you.  I'd advise you to ask on a cmucl mailing list
about this "linkage table" feature, and how much work needs to be done
at startup time after saving a core.  But I am assured by a developer
that "dumping cores with foreign code does work, just not automatic
reloading of foreign libraries on startup".  So at a guess you'll need
something in a ~/.cmucl-init file to reload the libraries, at least for
now.

Cheers,

Christophe