[CM] noise reduction with snd

rm@fabula.de rm@fabula.de
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 10:45:58 +0200

Let me jump out  of my lurking state here ...
If i understand the original poster's question right he i
asking about background noise removal from speech recordings. The tools
mentioned so far are probably nice to remove scratches and dust noise
from old vinyl recordings but probably not so good for the task under
discussion.
Moritz, you forgot to mention where the noise on the tapes(?) comes
from. Is it environmental noise or is it noise introduced by the
probably bad recording equipment. If you just need to isolate the
speech part to get a clearer understanding of the text you might be
able to use the ol' telephone trick: human speech stays comprehensible
even if one removes major parts of the spectrum. You could apply both
a lowpath and a highpath to the original signal, and, unless your noise
happens to be in the same area of the frequency spectrum as the speech
component, get a much more understandable speech signal. It's been quite
a while since a last worked with/looked at human speech, if you need more
help send my an email and i'll try to dig up some notes/literature.

 Ralf Mattes