[CM] Re: noise reduction with snd

James Tappin james@xena.uklinux.net
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 20:06:42 +0100

On Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:35:40 -0400
Paul <set@pobox.com> wrote:

> Moritz Lennert <mlennert@club.worldonline.be>, on Fri Aug 16, 2002 [07:20:40 PM] said:
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> > Thanks for the tip, but if I see correctly this is a Windows program. I run Debian GNU/Linux and so if there is a possibility in GNU/Linux, I'd prefer that. Otherwise I might have to come back to that and find someone with a Windows machine...
> >
> > Moritz
> >

> 	Hi;
>
> 	You might try GWC, the Gnome wave cleaner. Go to:
>
> http://www.redhawk.org/
>
> 	Scroll down to the references to the Vinyl Project,
> and the latest release of GWC.
> 	I also have something called denoi, but no idea where
> it comes from. I believe both of these guys use fft techniques
> to remove noise, given a sample of the noise to eliminate...

gwc is probably your best bet, the other usable option is dnoise from the csound suite. The algorithms in gwc are cable (with care) of handing very high levels of noise without damaging the underlying signal. (I use it for cleaning up 78's).

James

--
James Tappin,               O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@xena.uklinux.net     --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering