CLM "phrase" mechanism

To: Larry Troxler <lt@westnet.com> bil
Wed, 10 Sep 97 07:07:26 PDT

Thanks for the suggestions -- on first glance I like
them.  In the current CLM, there is no need for the
phrase mechanism -- it was originally intended for
multi-DSP implementations (i.e. the QP board), but
I removed all the 56000 support about a year ago.
In the near(?) future, however, I hope to add a
CLM-server/client feature to with-sound so that
CLM can run on many hosts at once (this became
interesting when ethernet speeds increased by a
large factor).  The entire distinction between
run-time and lisp-level vars in CLM is unfortunate,
and actually unnecessary -- it grew out of 56000/NeXT
communication bottlenecks which are now irrelevant.
The whole section is ripe for revision!