Midi recorder for Linux/CM?

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Fri, 17 Oct 1997 20:40:50 -0400

Hopefully it's not too annoying of me to be asking this once again, but
it would be nice to be able to find a Linux command-line MIDI file
recorder that could be integrated with Common Music.

The only suggestions I've got was to work from the "mp" that is in the
CMU adagio distribution (Roger Dannenberg's Moxy-derived stuff). This
seems to be a bit overkill, but maybe I could start hunting through the
source.

At the risk of getting off the subject, it seems that in Linux, the only
way to get an acceptable MIDI recorder, is to use an authentic MPU-401
or clone, which supports intelligent mode using its own clock. This is
because the Linux clock gives only 10ms resolution, which most will
agree is not good enough for all MIDI applications. Also, the OSS
drivers, the last time I asked, do not support MIDI-thru, and in UART
mode, this needs to be done in software, I think!

So, this situation, I think is sadly ironic - what was easily handled by
the CPU years ago with 386 machines running DOS, now either has to be
done with horrible time slop, or by going back to MPU intelligent mode,
wasting ISA bus cycles on something the host CPU could handle much more
efficiently, if it were running a real-time OS.

Ooop, I guess that turned into a rant, didn't it? Maybe we need to put
our MIDI and sound cards on our old 486 boards, burn some kind of
deterministic handler into the BIOS sockets, and talk to them from our
Linux machines through ethernet.

Any ideas as to what mailing lists or newsgroups I could more
appropriately bring this kind of subject  on, would be much appreciated.

... and in the mean time, back to the subject, oh yeah, which was  a
MIDI recorder for Linux/CM, any suggestions as to the easiest way to
come up with one, hopefully starting from existing sources, would be
welcome.

--  Larry Troxler --  lt@westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --