New CM Help missing API doc?

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:45:48 -0400

Tobias Kunze wrote:

> Ok, I got gnudoit etc. working in xemacs courtesy Anders Vinjar
> and could add help support for w3 if anyone wants me to do so,
> but it's pretty ugly and slow.
>
> Does anyone kow of any any reason why there should be w3 support?

I was the one who recently brought the subject up. The reason I asked is
that I had already been viewing the help (manually) with W3 in Xemacs on
my Linux system. I am very limited in screen space (14" monitor), and so
I found it a bit clumsy to deal with a seperate lynx or netscape window;
having the HTML in a seperate Emacs window (not a seperate X window) is
much more efficicient in terms of space, and I found that since I was
using Xemacs for the Lisp interface anyway, it was much more consistent
to do everything in Xemacs.

I will probably get a 17" monitor soon, so it will be interesting to see
if I still like this approach.

W3 sure is slow, though.

One question, though, do you really need gnudoit, gnuserv, etc? With
Linux ACL, I thought there was a way do directly evaluate expressions in
the Emacs session. I suppose the reason not to do it this way is that
other Lisps wouldn't be able to do it? Or am I missing something?

Larry

--  Larry Troxler --  lt@westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --