CM (thread) not back-compatible? (minor?)

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 21:42:08 -0400 (EDT)

I'm not 100 % sure (confusion factor), but I think that the new version of
(thread) is not entirely compatible with the old one. However, this may
not matter, being a case of GIGO due to lack of understanding of how
symbols work.

The difference seems to be this:

(thread (make-symbol "X") nil) used to work,
but now it seems I need to use (thread (intern "X") nil).

In the first case the thread is created, by references to "X" in stella
result in complaints about a bad object reference. The same thing happened
before, when I thought I could use a string for that second arg to thread.

I suppose that I should have been using "intern" and not "make-symbol" all
along; nevertheless this is a case of code that worked before and doesn't
any more. (but then again, if raw ground beef doesn't kill you, that
doesn't mean it's safe to continue eating it - I'll assume that
"make-symbol" is raw in this case)

Larry

--  Larry Troxler  --  lt@westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --