Delete events whithout altering start times (leaving hole)?

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:18:07 -0500 (EST)

This issue comes up for me all the time, and I have yet to figure out the
most straightforward way of dealing with it.

Almost every time, when I delete events from a thread (no, make that
*every* time), I want to preserve the start-times of the rest of the
events (probably by changing the rhythm of the previous event), so that
the end result would be equivalent to turning the deleted
events into rests, or like what would happen if you deleted events in a
MIDI sequencer.

I can think of a few awkward ways of accomplishing this, but I wonder if I
someone would offer the most straightforward way.

Shouldn't there be some sort of Stella command to do this? I think it
would be very rare to *not* want the delete command to work this way.

Yes, the events can be muted instead of deleted, by how does this help? I
tried muting, and then running the result into a new thread, but the mutes
are carried over. Leaving muted events in the thread seems to screw up all
the mapping operations - the editing operations seem not to bypass muted
events.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. For me, this is the single worst
aspect of CM/Stella (using relative instead of absolute time). Other than
that, it's great :-)

Larry

 --  Larry Troxler  --  lt@westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --