CM and Macintosh MIDI Communications

Rick Taube taube@uiuc.edu
Wed, 1 Jan 1997 09:37:19 -0800

>Patchbay shows cm but no MIDI communication.
>
>OMS Studio Setup says the MIDI Port is in use by another application.
>
>I think I've read every README and see no clues.
>
>What's wrong?

It sounds like you are using CM with OMS -- is this correct?  If so, then
the *midi-preferences*  should be:

(( :OMS :APPLE :MTP :MIDIQT) (0 1))

which says CM should attempt to connect to MIDI first using OMS on port 0
(modem)
Note that you currently still need the Apple MIDI Manager in the extensions
folder when working with OMS, and that OMS must be in Apple MIDI Manager
mode.

To get *midi-preferences* set correctly each time you start CM, create a
file called cminit.lisp in the same directory as the CM Lisp image, and put
the following forms in it:

(in-package :cm)
(setf *midi-preferences* '(( :OMS :APPLE :MTP :MIDIQT) (0 1)))

If all goes right, the next release of CM (mid january?) will be 100% OMS.
In other words, CM will no longer use the Apple MIDI manager or Apple MIDI
driver, as these are no longer supported by Apple.