Setting up CLM on Linux/ACL

Charles G Waldman cgw@pgt.com
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:41:02 -0500

Hello.  I am new to this list;  I have a brand-new Linux system
that I am interested in using for musical purposes.  The base
system is a 166Mhz 586 with 64MB. I originally installed
Slackware 3.0 and then upgraded the kernel from 2.0.0 to 2.0.29
(the current stable release).  I have a SoundBlaster 32 with the
OSS/Linux sound driver. Everything works great; in fact
it is a whole lot better system than the seven-year-old Sun
I'm sitting in front of now (Linux at home, Sun at work).
I obtained the free ACL CD from Franz, and downloaded the current
release of CLM.  Everything seems to have installed OK;
when I ":ld all.lisp" inside the CLM directory; everything
compiles and loads without a hitch.  ((Before putting ACL
on the system, using GCL I was unable to load CLM succesfully)).

I run (full-test) after loading "clm-test.lisp" and most of the
tests are OK;  the sounds are produced;  there are a few errors,
though - I'm not in front of the system now so I don't have
the exact error text, sorry, but it was something about
rehash-threshold needing to be between 0 and 1.  I just
skipped that test, and the rest of the tests seemed OK.

But; when I ":ld clm-example.lisp" I get an almost instant
"Segmentation Fault" and ACL exits; I am back at the shell
prompt;  not at any useful place inside Lisp where I could
hope to debug.

Does anybody have a similarly configured system, and does
clm-example work for them?  I don't know if this is a CLM
problem, an Allegro problem,  or a problem with my system.
What kind of tests might pinpoint the problem?

Please pardon me if such questions are inappropriate to this
list, and if so kindly direct me toward the correct channels.
Thank you.

	Charles G. Waldman
	cgw@pgt.com