ACL & Irix

Tobias Kunze t@ulysses.Stanford.EDU
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:18:13 +0100

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19712121618.ZM8638.kgw.tu-berlin.de

> 	 Error("mdRegister(3dm) failed\n");

i've noticed the same here on the machines in Berlin. For some
reason mdRegister fails sometimes and im very much inclined to
blame the  6.2 driver for it (mdRegister is new in 6.2, if im
not mistaken).  I did some tests and it seems as if kernel interface
structs are not freed properly: mdRegister works for some time,
then starts failing.  I still haven't figured out what fails
exactly, but in case you want give it a try, i attach a little
test program.  At any rate, mdRegister does not behave as it should.
Incidentally, mdUnRegister fails sometimes, too, but that is not
a showstopper.  Im in contact with SGI regarding this bug.

Anyway, try

  % stopmidi
  % startmidi -d internal -n "Software Synth"

to make sure midi is really running ok.  I've noticed that
registering works sometimes after having stopped and re-started midi.
you don't have to quit lisp to do that.

 > Id like to try to relink the .so-file,
 > but it seems to be missing some dependencies.  Do you have them
 > somewhere?

oops.  i have no idea how the sgi sources ended up in the cm archive.
we decided to distribute compiled binaries only, but ill make an
archive available some time this weekend. im currently writing up the
html documentation.   mail me if you need sources earlier, but i doubt the
register bug has anything to do with the fact that the library is
distributed as a binary.

 > Where on earth do you get all those netnames from?

They procreate!  Honestly!  But they all forward to me. :)

--PART-BOUNDARY=.19712121618.ZM8638.kgw.tu-berlin.de