CMN on Linux / Transcribing performances

Larry Troxler lt@westnet.com
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 21:07:58 -0500 (EST)

I have CMN running with CM on Linux with ACL. When I recently reported ACL
crashes, it was because I had been using an out-of-date nxtcmn.so.

I remember on this list someone else who was having problems with CMN on
Linux/ACL, but I don't remember the details. So if this person would like
to compare notes with me, I'll be glad to oblige.

Transcribing performances:

I'd be interested in sharing notes from anyone who has
invested any effort in using CM and
CMN to transcribe performances (from MIDI, for example).

Some examples of things I've run into:

One thing that I haven't tackled yet is writing a CMN output method that
will somehow display the object's index next to it's notehead in the
score, (or somewhere else if that is better).

Identifying chords is of course important. Short of a completely automatic
quantization algorithm, I've found it very usefull to "map * collect
rhythm into foo", then "(setf foo (sort foo #'<))", and then to display
this using gnuplot. In gnuplot, I then look at the monotonically
increasing plot of rhythms, and then visually find the break between the
slowly increases in rhythm and the point where the rhythms begin to
increase rapidly. Where to go from here depends on what I want to
accomplish.

Larry

--  Larry Troxler  --  lt@westnet.com  --  Patterson, NY USA  --