changing only velocity

Charles Shehadi gotham@write.org
Sun, 17 Aug 1997 17:10:54 -0500

Larry:

thanks for answering...

To Larry, Rick, Tobias and anyone else:

I saw you posted an email message a while back asking if anyone had any code
for graphically visualizing cm data.

I've got similar interests, but I come from a background in visual arts...I'm
getting a masters at the School of Visual Arts in New York.  I'm not a
composer, but, using Common Music, I'm developing a program where visual
artists can draw with a pressure sensitive digitizing tablet (or mouse) and
get musical feedback from their drawings.

The drawing space is set up as an x - y axis where y is pitch and x is time.
You can vary the volume of your tones by changing the thickness of the lines,
and you change the instrument by choosing a color.

You can either "perform" in real-time, painting "Jackson Pollack" style by
building up layers of brush strokes, or you can "compose" by creating lines
and playing them back later, either left-to-right, or in whatever order you like.

You can copy your lines/melodies by cutting and pasting, transpose them by
dragging them, scale, rotate, flip vertically/horizontally, etc. with a few
clicks of a mouse.

I guess it's the opposite of what you're looking for, but I thought I'd start
a conversation going.  Right now it's more of an "experience" for visual
artists than a serious tool for composition, but I'd like to develop it
further.  If composers would use a system like this, I'd like to add features
that would make it more useful for them.

Would anyone be interested in using a system like this?  (is anyone in New York?)

-Charlie