CLM and Linux

Antti Kaihola akaihola@siba.fi
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 13:34:54 +0300

Bill Schottstaedt wrote:
> That looks like a data format problem:  try either
> (with-sound (:data-format snd-8-mulaw) ...) or
> snd-16-linear-little-endian with :type set to
> RIFF-sound-file:  (with-sound (:type RIFF-sound-file
> :data-format snd-16-linear-little-endian) ...)
> These can be set as the defaults (see defaults.lisp
> for examples).

With mulaw .au file type dac actually plays back the sound, but the
output is not continuous - I hear a click and a 1 second pause every 4-5
seconds.

CLM doesn't seem to make valid RIFF files. I tried RIFF-sound-file with
SND-16-linear-little-endian. Dacs didn't like the file and gave an error
-8. Sox said "sorry, this is not a RIFF file" while it reads all Windows
WAV files ok.

I guess I'll have to look for a replacement for the dacs program. Linux
Sound-Playing-HOWTO mentions bplay - is that software any good?

Thanks Bill and Charles for you help! Although I haven't still got it
work, I've started to understand how it works. Are there any more
detailed technical documents about CLM? I couldn't find any.

Antti Kaihola
Sibelius-Academy, Helsinki, Finland