won't work anymore...

Charles Shehadi cshehadi@panix.com
Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:38:27 -0400

Hello all...

I just built the new version of Common Music with Capella, using MCL
3.9p1v2, and am having trouble getting it to work...

I can create objects, but their names don't show up in the Capella
window.

Even though their names are not listed, you can still select them (by
clicking where they ought to be in the window, or typing [1] or *, etc.)
and you can inspect them as well.

Also, I haven't been able output any objects I've created. I don't if
the two problems are connected or not.

I've tried bypassing Capella, and using Lisp code in the Fred editor to
create and listen to objects but I get the same results...

...if I evaluate this code:

(thread *the-thread* ()
  (object midi-note note 'c3
          rhythm 1
          duration 1
          amplitude 1))

I get the same problem.  A "phantom" thread is created: it's not listed
in the Capella window, but you can click where it ought to be and select
it, inspect it etc. (but I can't output it).

The code:

(listen-object #!*the-thread* 0.5)

gives me this error:

> Error: Class named NIL not found.
> While executing: FIND-CLASS

I'm not an expert at Common Music or Lisp, so there's always a chance
I've forgotten something obvious, but...

Any help would be appreciated.

-Charlie Shehadi