ideas for visualisation

Ludger Brummer ludi@guido.zkm.de
Sun, 13 Oct 96 17:01:34 +0100

Hi bil,

you encouraged to give some comments onto the visual concept of the snd or the clm - snd interaction.

My ideas are very simple:
1. Would it be possible that the xy axis would only be shown several times in a multichannel sound only in that case that the sync is switched on. The picture for example in sgi's soundeditor is much more compact and better to evaluate since the sound represantations are much closer to each other. When  the sync is off i.e. for editing single channels on a multichannel file, the existing visualisation is perfect.

2. Is it possible to see a cursor showing the actual playing position?

3. a representation of the note onset like you wrote would be very helpful, could that include also a represatation of the note duration?

4. Did you see the CECILIA interface for csound? what do you think of that interaction device with rubberband for manipulating or visualizing envelopes and other types of input data? I think this way of generating data for the note input can be much faster than writing eacht envelope. At least it is a good tool to represent or check the parameters of a soundfile.

Regarding clm:
dax dies at my machine. Did I forgot to load something or to set something? It did not work in earlier versions too:

Error: Received signal number 10 (Bus error)
  [condition type: SYNCHRONOUS-OPERATING-SYSTEM-SIGNAL]
   :zoom
   (ERROR SYNCHRONOUS-OPERATING-SYSTEM-SIGNAL :FORMAT-CONTROL ...)
 ->(CLM::C-DAX "/snd/piece/snd/aug15.6m.snd" 0.0 ...)
   (DAX "/snd/piece/snd/aug15.6m.snd")
   (EVAL (DAX "/snd/piece/snd/aug15.6m.snd"))
   (TPL:TOP-LEVEL-READ-EVAL-PRINT-LOOP)
   (TPL:START-INTERACTIVE-TOP-LEVEL
      #<BIDIRECTIONAL-TERMINAL-STREAM [initial terminal io] fd 0/1 @
        #x1007e2ba>
      #<Function TOP-LEVEL-READ-EVAL-PRINT-LOOP> ...)

having a good time mixing down

ludi

P.S. my new piece is on the way to be finished. And I must say what a new world with the speed of the SGI and the fancyness of the new clm utilities compared to the earlier versions.
Ludger Bruemmer
Hohenzollernstr. 66
45128 Essen Germany

++ 49 201 787823