new cm release (finally...)

Heinrich Taube hkt@cmp-nxt.music.uiuc.edu
Mon, 20 Nov 95 09:57:58 -0600

I've placed a new release of Common Music on ccrma-ftp and ftp.zkm.de.  This release introduces some major new functionality and ports (MCL 3.0 and CLISP 1995-08-12). Ive tested as best I can but there may still be a few bugs lurking. I also redesigned the lower level stream interface, the result is that there is now no need to distinguish between writing files and "listening" -- in fact Listen etc are no longer needed. The Open commnd now remembers the current output stream and commands Mix and Seq send output to the current stream, no matter what it is.

Ive started saving cm.zip files for DOS again, unfortunately I dont have a DOS machine to test on so let me know if there are any problems...

The main points:

1 Ports to MCL 3.0 and CLISP 1995-08-12. The CLISP port includes real time MIDI support on NextStep (thank you Leigh Smith!)

2 New script for building the system (Tobias Kunze). Load build/make-cm.lisp and answer the questions. The script will save your setting as a local configuration file for future builds.  See the new build/README for more info.

3 Many new features in Macintosh graphical interface. Main ones: (a) New main menu and submenus make it easy to create objects and output streams. (b) COMMAND-U keystroke sends musical output to the current output stream from any browser or listing selection. (c) New layout editor for designing output arrangements (Tobias Kunze). Load capella.tutorial to learn how to use it.

4 Output in Stella is much simpler. The OPEN command now makes the last opened output stream the default stream for processing. New commands Mix and Seq operate on the open stream. Mix and Seq replace Listen, Write, SListen, SWrite etc.  Avoid using Listen and SListen, they are no longer needed and will go away in a future release.

5 $slot notation no longer needed in expressions.

6 Documentation, tutorials and READMEs updated.

-hkt