i*link Support for clm

Leigh Smith leigh@antechinus.cs.uwa.oz.au
Wed, 8 Nov 95 00:39:11 +0800

> Once the QP cards die, I'll probably
> throw away all the 56000 code in CLM.  (Motorola recently
> announced the availability of the 80 MHz 56002, but that's
> still slow compared to any normal main processor, and even
> when I get "real-time" support going, it will not use the
> 56000).

Given that the Frankenstein box (8 56002's per card) has been demoed at ICMC,
won't there be some call for arrays of DSP/NSP processing, still? I understand that maintaining that duality of signal and main processor is a problem that may well weigh out against such parallel approaches in the long run, but gee, I'd like to be signal processing with a frankenstein card and Common Lisp in real time, soon... Besides, we can be assured that whatever processing power the main CPU posesses will be put into smoother user interfaces & graphics etc by our O.S. manufacturers and probably not left idle for us musicians :-) Perhaps the real-time Dig. Sign. uP support in the future is better left to the MusicKit/SynthBuilder type of program with high level OOP messaging to Lisp?

Really just thinking aloud

Leigh
---
Leigh Smith            Computer Science, University of Western Australia
                       +61-9-380-1945 leigh@cs.uwa.edu.au (NeXTMail/MIME)
"In a world where success means gaining time, thinking has a single but
 irredeemable fault: it's a waste of time" - Jean-Francois Lyotard