cm crashes

Tobias Kunze tkunze@cmsgia.Stanford.EDU
Sun, 5 Nov 1995 14:36:47 -0800

> I'm using System 7.5.1 on a PowerMac 6100/AV with Midi Manager version 2.0.2.
>  I'm using the minimum possible extensions to run Common Music.
>
> I can get Common Music built on my machine using MCL 2.01 and it works ok for
> a few hours but after a while it seems to get corrupted - or something.
>
> I get unpredictable type 1 and type 3 crashes within 2 minutes of using
> Common Music.  I can't get anything to work in Common Music for any extended
> period of time.

Hi, Charles-

MCL 2.0.1 dates back to the dark ages where ppc's weren't even around and
the IIfx the top-of-the-line product.  You should thus make sure you've
loaded ALL available patches to the vanilla 2.0.1 image, especially the
MMU2,MMU3, MMU4, and MMU5 patch.  I think you can still get them at
digitools ftp site ftp.digitool.com.  unpack and follow the patch instructions.

ALso, make sure the modern memory manager is OFF in the memory control panel.

Once you've done that, everything should run fine.

[Type 1 errors are bus errors, Type 3 address errors, that is quite unspecific,
im afraid.]

> -Is there a chance that my hard disk driver could be conflicting with Common
> Music?
> I've run Norton Utilities and the disk checks out as ok - but there could
> still be a conflict with the driver...or is this not possible?

im almost 150% sure it doesn't have anything to do with it.  unless your main
image is on a bad disk sektor or the like.

> -Could there be something in my code that corrupts Common Music?  Or is CM
> usually pretty indestructible?

only if you call the os directly.  then it is quite easy to crash the
machine.  after all, it's still only a mac  :)

> -Is there a "support file" that Common Music uses that might get corrupted
> after a crash, that I can easily replace without having to rebuild the whole
> program?

no.  rest assured.

-Tobias