CM Build help needed: 486/Clisp/MS-DOS

areece@merle.acns.nwu.edu areece@merle.acns.nwu.edu
Sat, 10 Sep 94 1:32:26 CDT

Hello.  At the risk of coming across as an insufferable dullard in my very
first message to this distribution, I must make a plea for help.  I have a 486
running Clisp under MS-DOS, and I would like to run CM.  I have not met with
success thus far.  If anyone has successfully installed using this
configuration, please send me detailed instructions.

Even if you have not done this exactly, but have an idea as to the problem(s),
anything would help at this point.  So that you may better understand the
problem, a brief statement of the error:

I have tried using both Portable Common Loops and the CLOS patch included with
CM.  I inevitably come up with the error "EVAL: undefined function
HANDLER-BIND."

I suppose the possibilities are 1) I have not correctly installed either PCL
or the CLOS patch (possible - the installation of PCL was a lengthy and
painful process not unlike whelping); 2) I have incorrectly configured the
build files in CM; or 3) I am not correctly loading the CLOS or PCL packages
prior to loading build.lsp.

I should have prefaced this by saying that I am a complete novice as regards
lisp - I can so far define a function to perform simple arithmetic on two
numbers, but not far beyond.  I used the CM package at school and really liked
stella, and after several months of C, lisp was really more enjoyable.  Was.

Thank you for taking the time to read this my message.  If I ever do get this
running, I will document my success for all who would follow in this quest.

Cheers,
Aaron (areece@merle.acns.nwu.edu)