new clm

Bill Schottstaedt bil@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon, 3 Jan 94 10:30:27 -0800

I've started re-porting CLM to the Macs; currently CLM
reads/writes/plays both NeXT and AIFF files, and I hope
to add more file types as time goes by.  CLM runs on
the Mac currently only with Lisp unit generators, so
it's slow as molasses, but someday I'll re-implement
the Digidesign code, and maybe do a port to the "av"
model's 3210.  The other path to future hardware
appears to be the Turtle Beach board on the PC.
Other changes in the new CLM: I've added a "volume"
function (setf-able) to replace get/set-volume with
one whose range is 0 to 1.0 across all platforms
(the old one went to #x43 on the NeXT, 7 on Mac, 100
on SGI), and I'm in the midst of regularizing the
DAC function to work on all supported file types
on all platforms, including start/end args, and
hopefully, arbitrary srate support (via srate
conversion on-the-fly).  The port of the C unit
generators to MCL failed due to disagreements
between MCL and MPW about C floats.   I had also
planned to include BICSF headers, but they have a
fixed comment length which makes them unusable.